You’ve probably heard the adage that “the ultimate test of a relationship is to disagree but still hold hands.” Well, if you decide to live in your home while you renovate, you will have plenty of opportunities to test that aphorism.
Without a doubt, trying to maintain some kind of levelheadedness during a lengthy renovation—during which time basic amenities may not be available, everything is coated with an interminable layer of dust and construction materials and tools fill every nook of the home—is a herculean task. But it is possible! Keep reading to learn more.
Here are some tips for living in your home during renovations:
- So you’ve decided to go ahead—well, patience is key. If one of you is a firebrand that has to have everything done, like, yesterday, that’s a recipe for disaster. Everything will take twice as long as you would like—and that’s a generous estimate—so remember to breathe!
- Are you good at making decisions? Because you’ll be making them every minute of every day and night of every week of every month! …And communicating them? Because your contractor needs to know what’s going on.
- Turn off the mess meter! Everything you’ve learned about living in a clean space goes out the window when you’re renovating. You will never be able to keep up with the dust and dirt.
- Keep your budget under control. Avoid budget overruns… uhh… at all cost. Shop around. Do anything to keep costs down—because your sweet little project can turn into a money-gobbling monster at the drop of a hat.
- Simplify meals—hail crock-pots and microwaves!
- Make most of your design decisions before you start work.
- Safety. Safety—especially with children around.
At McCallum Aluminum we want to be the first to congratulate you on your decision to do home renovations in London, Ontario! We’ve been home remodeling in London, Ontario for nearly 60 years.
Contact us for a free quote on home renovations in London, Ontario. No matter the size of your home remodeling project in London, Ontario, we at McCallum Aluminum can help. Give us a call for all your home renovations in London, Ontario.